Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Favorite topics of the year

We studied many different units in Science this year, and I have a few favorites. The units were Astronomy, Weather and Climate, Geology, Weathering and erosion, and Earth's waters. Some of them were more fun than others and some were just fun, but I had to pick a topic for each unit out of all the topics we went through.

Astronomy: Comets

This was my favorite topic because they are really interesting. I thought that it was interesting that the tail of the comet always points away from the sun. I thought that they always revolve around the sun, so I was surprised that only most of them do that. I think that comets are cool because they are flying pieces of rock flying through space and I always wondered where they come from and what started their movement.


Weather and Climate (Earth's atmosphere): Greenhouse gases

This is my favorite topic because I didn't know how dangerous they were. I learned that they are gases that trap energy. It traps energy and heat in the atmosphere and warms the planet. Where gases hold heat in the air is called the greenhouse effect. Carbon dioxide is a big factor in the greenhouse effect. Humans help cause it by driving a lot which burns fossil fluids and that heats up the atmosphere even more. I was surprised by how many ways people heat up the Earth and now I know how to stop it.


Geology: The rock cycle

This is my favorite topic because I didn't know how many cycles there are. I didn't know how rocks can become other types of rocks. For example, metamorphic rock becomes sediment through erosion and sedimentary rock becomes magma and lava by melting. Any rock that becomes sediment goes through erosion and any rock that becomes magma and lava has to melt. I was surprised when I learned that what rocks have to do to become other types of rocks.


Weathering and Erosion: The types of weathering

This is my favorite topic because I didn't know how many ways weathering can happen. I learned that it happens through water (waves, too), wind, and glaciers. I didn't know that waves break down the land that it hits. Also, I didn't know that wind could break down rocks, it's real slowl, but it happens. Glaciers can erode rocks by plucking where they pick up rocks when moving. There's mechanical and chemical weathering. Mechanical is caused by something physical hitting the rock and chemical weathering is caused by liquids wearing down the rock.


Earth's Waters: Wetlands

This is my favorite topic because I think that wetlands are interesting. You never know when you're walking through one and all of a sudden, splash, an alligator splashes out, or you here something in the bushes, a raccoon is looking for a meal. I found the different types of wetlands interesting, especially bogs. I never new that bogs have acidic waters. Their moss makes them look like fields, but they're not. I also thought that the Florida Everglades were interesting. I didn't realize how many species of wildlife it contained and all of the threats that there is of destroying it. To me, wetlands are interesting because you never know what is in them and what you will stumble apon.


As you can see, we studied many different units in class, and I picked my favorite topics. There were so many to choose from and some of them were hard to pick. This is my final blog post of this blog and it has been fun.
Also, here is a video that we made about these topics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Z6-3hkxZY

No comments: